District Attorney's Office

Administrative Traffic Court

Administrative Traffic Court was implemented in 1997 by District Attorney Jeff Hunt, the Chief District Court Judge and Clerks of Court. The purpose of this specialized court is to dispose of infractions and minor traffic offenses in a more efficient and cost effective manner.

Below is a schedule of when Administrative Traffic Court is held in each of our counties.
Henderson County: Every Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.

Polk County: The First Thursday and Third Monday of every month

Transylvania County: The Fourth Monday at 9:00 a.m.

CONTINUANCES: Policies concerning continuances may vary in each county. If you need to inquire about the possibility of changing your court date, contact the District Attorney’s office for the county in which you received the citation. See “Contact Us” link.

COURT COSTS AND FINES: Must be paid by cash or in the form of a cashier’s check or money order. The amount of the fine could vary.

EXPIRED REGISTRATION/EXPIRED INSPECTION STICKER/ACCIDENT CASES: Bring documentation to court that will prove that the registration or inspection sticker has been renewed. If you have been involved in an accident, bring a letter from your insurance company stating that the damages resulting from the accident have been settled.

FAILURES TO APPEAR: If you fail to appear on a scheduled court date, you will receive a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles stating that your license will be suspended until the citation has been disposed of. Once the case has been disposed of you will be charged a DMV reinstatement fee, payable to the Clerk of Court, in addition to the original fine and court costs.

If you have any questions about how this will affect your automobile insurance, please vist: www.ncdoi.com


If you feel you have reached this webpage in error, or would like to learn more about North Carolina District Attorneys, please visit the NC Conference of District Attorneys website. To report a problem with this, or any other District Attorney website please contact the webmaster.